The Special Needs and Disability (SEND) department at Dean Trust Wigan aim to create a caring, secure, stimulating and flexible learning environment, which aims to ensure that every child has an equal right to reach their full potential socially, physically and intellectually.
Our guiding principle is one of inclusion. We strive to identify and break down all possible barriers to learning to ensure that all students have access to a broad, balanced curriculum which is differentiated to meet their needs and abilities. We also make every effort to prepare our students for adulthood through the teaching of skills and attitudes which will enable them to participate fully in society and give them the foundations to become lifelong learners.
We have an excellent team of trained and dedicated teaching assistants who support our young people across the curriculum, offering guidance and ensuring that all student’s needs are met.
In keeping with the ethos of the school and the foundations underpinning the SEND policy, our aims and principles are:
- To identify and assess SEND at the earliest opportunity through baseline assessments and careful ongoing assessment and monitoring of all students.
- To monitor the effectiveness of interventions through clear ongoing assessment procedures and record keeping.
- To involve students with SEND in all aspects of school life.
- To provide appropriate training for staff so that policy and the accompanying procedures and strategies can be implemented with maximum effect.
- To differentiate work carefully so that, wherever possible, students can be supported in the classroom with their peers and students will enjoy ongoing access to a broad and balanced curriculum.
- To establish and maintain good systems of communication between professionals from outside agencies, teachers, teaching assistants and other staff members.
- To take a collaborative approach to student’s needs. Where a student has an individual education plan we will always discuss this with the student in an appropriate way, make the objectives of the plan clear and take the student’s views into account. We also encourage parents to be actively involved in supporting their child and bring in external professionals where appropriate.
Click here to view the SEND Information Report
Click here to view the Wigan Local Offer Statement
DTW Accessibility Plan – Coming Soon
If you require further information with regards to the SEND department then please contact the Inclusion Co-ordinator Miss Monahan or SENCO Mrs Herron